Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Assigned seats

Where do you sit at church?

Growing up -
we always sat about 10 rows up from the back,
entered the padded pew from the right side and
slid all the way over for our family of six.

A few rows in front of us was another family of four.

Another family of four entered the 11th pew
from the left side. 

If I wondered if someone was there that Sunday,
I knew exactly where to look -
everyone had their unspoken assigned seats. 
Which kinda took us by surprise if there was a visitor 
who didn't know that seat was taken...
what is one to do?

Thinking of these memories are sweet and funny 
 yet make me think.

Do I live my life like that?
Am I doing the same thing day in and day out.
Do I stretch myself to reach out?
Am I comfortable with my little life?
What do I do when something unexpected happens and my world is rocked?

Who am I trusting in?
Is it comfort of the American life 
or 
is my trust truly in my God?

I was reading the story of Jonah and the Big Fish 
to my little kids the other night.
The kids wondered why I began to cry.

I had to explain to them that mommy doesn't always do what 
I know God is asking me to do. 
And that I shouldn't be afraid of what God has for me -
but should cling to HIM to carry me through. 

Our church meets in an elementary school -
we sit on very uncomfortable, loud metal folding chairs.
Many people complain about these seats,
but I love them! 
It is good to be uncomfortable! 
It is good to not know what might happen tomorrow -
but I do know who holds tomorrow,
who holds the future! 

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, 
plans to prosper you and not to harm you, 
plans to give you hope and a future. 
Jeremiah 29:11


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin